Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Money is the Root of Evil

DISCLAIMER: I wasn't going to do this post simply because it involves my personal life... and even though I talk about my life on a daily basis on this blog, this is almost TOO personal... but it's been fucking with me ever since Sunday night and it's like I can't shake it, so I figured I'd just write it out and see if that helps...

On Sunday night, me and Nicole were chillin' out and my phone rings... it's Mom... ever since I've gotten back in school, my mother has been on some nonsense about money... in fact, it seems that the only reason she EVER calls me is to ask about money... frankly, I think it's bullshit... simply because, my mother has never been the "money-hungry" type... she's always taught us to be free with money... if someone REALLY needs something and you have it, give it to them... and for the most part, that's how I've lived my life... it's gotten me burned multiple times, but I still feel like if it helps more than hurts, it's all gravy...

So back to Sunday, my mom calls and is asking if I have sent the money to pay my phone bill... I politely remind her that it's Sunday and that the mail doesn't run on said day... so then she tells me that I could have sent it Saturday and it would already be in the mail... to which I reply "yeah, I could have done that but I didn't... it'll be in the mail tomorrow... you'll have it in less than 24 hours..." and this turns the conversation into an argument about having to chase people for her money and all this other bullshit until we were pretty much shouting at each other...

I just don't understand people's obsession with money... I have very simple rules when it comes to money...

1) Pay yourself first... even if it's something small like taking yourself out to eat or buying a new shirt, the first thing you should do when you get paid is PAY YOURSELF first... buy yourself something nice... it shouldn't be anything above your means or something just mildly retarded but it should quell that desire to buy something when you have money burning in your pocket...

2) 10% goes to God... now I follow this when I go to church (which isn't very often anymore) simply because I feel like if you're attending an institution that's a part of your spiritual health, not only do they deserve to be compensated but also because it's what your SUPPOSED to do...

3) Don't give unless you can afford not to get it back immediately... this is my most IMPORTANT rule... if you have to pay a $40 bill tomorrow and you only have $40... don't give it to me when I ask... because, quite simply, you can't afford to... I'll understand... I'll just ask someone else... but people (especially in my family) will do the exact opposite and then get mad as hell when that "oh I'll pay you back next week" turns into "something came up..." now, some people never had the intention to pay you back in the first place and that's the excuse they chose to give... but if something ACTUALLY came up (which is usually the case if I can't pay you back) I can understand you getting a little upset because I just broke a promise... but if you gonna harp on it EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME THAT YOU TALK TO ME, eventually, I'm going to get a little pissed... get off my fucking back already! It's not like I have some type of block in my brain that prevents me from remembering my debts...

And rule number 3 (as you can tell from all the anger in the words) is what has been breached by my mother... me, my mom and two of my sisters are on the same phone plan with T-Mobile... so if one person doesn't pay their bill, then they all get cut off unless somebody pays it for them... so on Saturday, I got a check for $400... that afternoon, I went to Wal-mart, cashed my check, went to the mall, got some t-shirts and basketball shorts for the gym, took Nicole to get some food and put up some money for a new laptop... fast forward to Sunday and my mother's rant... it's like whenever I get some money, people feel like they're entitled to it... four out of the last five times, I've gotten some money sent to the crib, my mother has asked for it and I've let her had it... but the one time, I just want to spend some money on me, she has the fucking nerve to get an attitude... it's not like I wasn't going to send the money in a timely manner, but to call me on a Sunday night talking about some damn money without even asking how I'm doing first is kinda fucked up in my opinion... and it's gotten to the point where I just feel like I should be one of those people that just stays away from their family... over the past few years, I enjoy being around them less and less... and last year I decided that I was going to be out of town when Christmastime came around (I'll be in Orlando, bitches!)

I've always lived by the quote that "people are in your life for seasons at a time" and it's become very apparent that my family's season is about to come to an end... fuck money, B...




This picture is still dope as fuck though... LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment