Friday, March 20, 2009

My First Haiku Battle

So tonight I competed in my first ever haiku poetry battle... there were eight people, best-of-three wins... the top four move on to the next round, another best-of-three battle... then, you have the finals and another best out of three until you get a champion... I got third (or fourth) I'm still not sure because even though, I lost in two straight rounds (the other semi when all three rounds) I lost to the eventual champ, so I feel like I earned third...

In any event, I'm surprised I even made it to the semifinals because I went up against a chick whose poetry goes SO HARD... I was really like "wow, she's gonna slaughter the kid" when I walked up there but I pulled the upset... surprised the hell out of me... shit even the judges were surprised... people were like "wait a minute? WHO won?" LOL... but it was all good for me... I can't wait to do another one in two weeks...

I'm also trying to get down as a member of the Slam Poetry team and I think that will be dope because one of my overall goals in my poetry is to make the crowd go "OH SHIT!! YOU HEAR WHAT THAT NIGGA JUST SAID?!?" or at the very least, to make you laugh... LOL... so hopefully that gets poppin' in the fall... I'm excited though... I just want to keep improving...

Ya'll be easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment